- Maharashtra Ophthalmology Society: Bellpharma award for best post-graduate paper in 1997, YKC Pandit Award for best scientific work of the year (on small incision cataract and phacoemulsification surgery) in 2003, FDC Award for best research in basic sciences (NSAIDs for small incision cataract surgery) in 2004, Best paper presentation in 2007 (Ocular manisfestations of HIV infection), V.K.Chitnis oration awarded for life time significant scientific work in 2009 for work on pediatric ophthalmology and childhood blindness, Best paper presentation in 2014 (Meta-analysis of phacoemulsification vs Manual small incision cataract surgery)
- All India Ophthalmology Society’s annual conference: Best cataract session paper at New Delhi 2003 (ECCE compared to SICS). Best paper on community ophthalmology at Bhuvaneshwar 2005 (Changing pattern of childhood blindness in Maharashtra). Mahashabde oration at Bhopal 2006. Best in cataract session at Banglore 2008 (Comparision of endothelial cell loss by phaco and SICS), in community eye care at Banglore 2008 (Childhood blindness in Karnataka). Best presentation for community ophthalmology at Jaipur 2009 (Ocular problems in children with learning disability). Best in prevention of blindness session in 2015 at New Delhi (Impact of correcting visual impairment in deaf-mute children. Is there a correlation between blindness and deafness?)
- Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, best letter to editor on use of irrigating fluids in cataract surgery in 2010, IJO Silver Award for ‘Is glaucoma blindness a disease of poverty & ignorance?’ in 2011, IJO Silver Awrad for ‘Long term outcomes of traumatic cataracts in children’ in 2012.
- International: Best Poster award at International Agency for Prevention of Blindness, 7th General Assembly at Dubai 2004, Best Poster award at International Agency for Prevention of Blindness, 9th General Assembly at Hyderabad 2012 (Barriers to follow-up of pediatric cataracts).
- Satyavati Madan award by the Poona Ophthalmology Society given for lifetime of community eye care work in 2008
- Paranjpe prize for topping MS (Ophthal), topping university amongst all medical post-graduates in 1997.
- Dr. Madhusudan Jhamwar Award 2013 to young ophthalmologist who has done exemplary work in community service, teaching and research inspite of being in private practice.
- Invited to teach/ speak on cataract surgery in China, USA, UK, Oman, Singapore, Ethiopia, Uganda, Cameroon, Indonesia and Pakistan and about pediatric ophthalmology in Dubai, Brazil, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Syria, Oman, Cambodia, Nepal, Bangladesh, Zambia, Japan and Tanzania.
- Invited for the Editor’s Choice session at the American Academy of Ophthalmology, Chicago in 2005 by the editors’ of Ophthalmology, American Journal of Ophthalmology, and the Archives of Ophthalmology. Best national paper (India) at World Ophthalmology Congress, Brazil 2006. Instruction course on endophthalmitis at the American Academy of Ophthalmology 2006 at Las Vegas; on manual small incision cataract surgery at New Orleans 2007, Instruction course at IAPB 8th general assembly at Buneos Aries 2008, Instruction course on manual small incision cataract surgery at American Academy of Ophthalmology, Orlando 2011 and Chicago 2012. Emory congenital cataract group, New York 2011, USAID-AED meet at Washington DC on Miraj Pediatric Cataract Study in 2011. Helped draft the Africa pediatric cataract manual in Tanzania in 2007 and the Asian pediatric cataract manual in Bangladesh 2011. Instruction course on manual small incision cataract surgery at the World Ophthalmology Congress, Abu Dhabi in 2012 and the Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology, Hyderabad in 2013. Invited faculty at Singapore National Eye Centre (SNEC) & American Academy of Pediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismus (AAPOS) meeting at Singapore, July 2013 for long term outcomes of pediatric cataracts. Instruction course on evaluation of eye care programs at World Ophthalmology Congress, Tokyo in 2014. The ‘hardest cataract’ in PERDAMI: Indonesian Ophthalmic Association’s meeting at Makassar, South Sulawesi, Indonesia in May 2014. ISGEO, London Schoool for Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, London, UK in September 2014. African Vision Research Institute, Durban, South Africa, in July 2015.
- Wet lab on manual small incision cataract surgery at Asia-Pacific Cataract & Refractive Surgery meeting at Kuala Lampur, Malayasia in August 2015.